What is a Bowman Room Parent?
Room Parents are an essential part of the Bowman Parent-Teacher Association, supporting teachers and linking the school community. Being a Room Parent does not mean you have to be in the classroom or at Bowman all the time. Most of the work involves relaying information to the class and coordinating parent volunteers, both of which can be done by phone or email.
Typically most classrooms have one Room Parent to coordinate communications, and several other Room Parents to assist with activities throughout the year. All Room Parents are welcome to contact the teacher and families about various activities they are coordinating, though it may be easiest to designate a communications person to handle emailing families most of the time.
The following is a typical list of responsibilities to be shared among all Room Parents. The specifics will need to be agreed upon with the teacher.
- Assist classroom teacher with the following:
- Class Parties
- Class Email and phone list
- Coordinating Classroom volunteers as needed
- Coordinating Field Trip Chaperones as needed
- Organize a Fall parent social event
- Keep families informed of Bowman activities
- Coordinate one class project for Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week in the Spring (such as cards, bouquet, etc.) for your classroom teacher
- Coordinate one class raffle basket to benefit Bowman PTO
- Collect classroom donations for class needs and gifts
If you are interested in getting involved or have any questions, please contact the PTA Room Parent Coordinator, Melinda Nasardinov, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To become a Room Parent, sign up here (complete a new form for each classroom): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZL8CK-pCXbqvL9l_H38noFnDqh-8PKZoXqiTKobgLQGRdRA/viewform
The following is an example of what you may expect for the upcoming year:
- Meet with your Teacher
- Your class Room Parent volunteers meet
- Send Welcome/Information Letter from Room Parents
- Collect Class Contact Information/Volunteer Sign-up sheets and class donations
- Compile Class Roster & Distribute to Class
- Welcome New Families to Bowman with Personal Note as needed
- Plan/organize Parent Social event
- Use Class Funds for Classroom Holiday Gift
- Plan/Assemble Class Basket for Fundraising Raffle
- Recruit volunteers for Teacher Appreciation Lunch
- Coordinate end-of-year Teacher Gift
- Click for info on Lexington Education Fund STAR (Staff Teacher Appreciation and Recognition) Awards.
Throughout the Year:
- Initiate emails/phone requests for volunteers (in-class, field trips, BBY, etc.)
- Organize Class parties
- Send out monthly email updates to keep Class informed and excited about what’s happening at Bowman
- Keep Class Roster updated and distributed as new students arrive or changes occur
- Keep Class updated on spending of Class Funds on materials, supplies, etc.
For more helpful information, tools and templates for Room Parents, click here.
Want to Learn More?
Come to a Room Parent Orientation (Optional, but recommended for new RPs – pick ONE)
Monday, September 21, 2020, 7pm
Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 10am
RSVP to email@example.com for Zoom link.